Is a strong gag reflex preventing you from maintaining healthy oral hygiene?
Believe it or not, a gag reflex can develop for a number of reasons. It can also be reduced quite successfully.
If you are reading this then it is safe to assume that your gag reflex is at a level that is causing you concern and may be causing one or all of the following.
- Difficulty brushing and flossing teeth
- Avoidance of dental procedures
- Inability to have imprints for dentures or braces
- Poor oral hygiene due to lack of access for dental equipment
Most patients that present with a strong gag reflex have developed this behaviour in response to fears around going to the dentist. This can include previous perceived traumatic experiences.
Hypnotherapy can be a safe and effective treatment option for reducing a strong gag reflex and can help in the following ways:
- Stress and anxiety management
- Create a trigger for calm in the body in relation to dental work
- Create an anaesthetic effect in the throat when needed so that there are no sensations to cause a gagging response
- Re-evaluate traumatic past experiences and re-process them so that they no longer have any effect on the body or mind
- Develop dissociation during dental procedures
If you have an issue that hypnotherapy could help you overcome, then contact Ed on 07921 220557, email at email@example.com or fill in our contact form.